For those of you that might have missed DeAnjo Coaching’s December 2013 newsletter, here is a summary of our tips for setting your 2014 New Year resolutions.
The process remains the same no matter whether you are setting career or life goals…….. You need to ask yourself the following questions…….
– What needs improvement in my life and/or career?
– What will bring me joy and give me a sense of fulfillment?
– How can I create a better quality of life for myself?
– What steps do I need to take to get me to where I want to be on 12/31/14?
Remember that nobody can determine what is right for your life. ONLY YOU have the answers to these questions. So, slow down for a few minutes or even a couple of hours, quiet your mind and take the time to do some self-reflection. Self-awareness and conscious decision making are key to setting and attaining goals. Once you have spent time pondering the questions listed above and have come up with honest and insightful answers and ideas, then consider the following………
* Break down the steps to get you to where you want to go. Avoid overwhelming yourself or creating goals that are too far out of reach. Develop baby steps and short term objectives within your master plan. When you attain a short term objective, you will feel a sense of accomplishment and become inspired to continue on your journey to achieve your ultimate goal. You will empower yourself to see your master plan come to fruition!
* Make sure that you hold yourself accountable. Your short term objectives must be measurable. It is absolutely crucial that you set clear time parameters to complete each short term objective within your master plan. For instance, if your strategic goal is to make a career transition in 2014, you must have daily, weekly and monthly measurable objectives in place to ensure that you are making progress towards reaching that ultimate goal. Holding yourself accountable to these short term goals will keep you focused and moving forward. Remember, no excuses are acceptable for not following through on your planned actions. Make the time in your busy schedule to accomplish your short term objectives. These are the actions that will get you to your ultimate goal. Do this for YOU!
* Be ambitious when setting your goals, but be realistic. You want to set your goals high, but your goals have to be realistically attainable. Do not measure yourself against what others in your life may have achieved. Your master plan is about YOU and nobody else. Remember the questions you asked yourself when you started the process? This process is about building YOUR best life and about bringing YOU joy and fulfillment. Developing goals that are not fit to your lifestyle will only frustrate you and hinder your ability to attain those goals. You will then ultimately give up completely. Set your goals so that when you attain them, YOU WILL BE LIVING THE LIFE YOU DESIRE!
Good Luck in making 2014 your best year ever!!!